“We didn’t make homemade ice cream. We made Ashburn’s Ice Cream,” said Bill Ashburn in the July-August issue. Now you can make Ashburn’s Ice Cream too.
We had this recipe ready and waiting, but just ran out of room. So many people have shared their Ashburn’s memories that we decided to make room this time. Will that be one scoop or two?
Ashburn’s Original Vanilla Ice Cream
(Converted from a two-hundred gallon recipe by Lawrence Ashburn in August 2002.)
- 3 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 49 ounces (3 ½ 14 ounce cans) sweetened condensed nonfat milk
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ ounce plain gelatin dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons Adams vanilla extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
Mix ingredients thoroughly, and then add enough water to make one gallon of mix.
Freeze according to freezer’s directions.