This recipe appeared in the Winter 2008 issue of Texoma Living!.
Makes 8 large scones
– 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1 large egg, lightly beaten
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1²/³ cups all-purpose flour
– 1/3 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl whisk together the egg, whipping cream and vanilla extract. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the cream mixture and stir just until the dough comes together.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Shape the dough into a 7-inch circle. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles. Brush any excess flour from the bottom of the scones, and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Brush the tops with a little of the cream.
Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm around the edges but a bit soft in the center.